Wednesday, October 29, 2014

V is for Variable Star and W is for WCTU

Variable Star
I'm posting the V block so late in October that I thought I'd go ahead and post the W block for November now, too. 

The October block is a classic, Variable Star. This is a handy block to have in your repertoire. 

WCTU
The November block is sentimental for me. It's a nod to my paternal grandmother. Before women could vote, they could express their political views with their quilts. Many of our favorite blocks have a political association: Log Cabin (for Abraham Lincoln), Tippecanoe, Old Rough & Ready, and Burgoyne Surrounded are just a few. WCTU is named for the Women's Christian Temperance Union, the longest existing, non-sectarian women's organization in the US. From the mid- nineteenth century, the Temperance movement was an important force in American life. One reason women's suffrage finally became a reality is that pro-temperance politicians thought women would vote for Prohibition -- which, in fact, they did. 

My grandmother was a lifetime member of the WCTU, and this block is dedicated to her. 

The pattern for Variable Star is here.

The pattern for WCTU is here.




No comments: